According to some local stories passed on by oral tradition, the monastery’s church may has been constructed by the apprentices of master-builder Nicodim in the 14th century. Recent researches have shown that the architectural plan and even the structure of the monument combine all the characteristic features of the religious architecture of that epoch. The monastery underwent major repairs in 1564, through the generosity of Princess Zamfira, the daughter of Moise Voivode, who ruled over Walachia between 1529 and 1530. After her father had fallen in the battle of Viisoara that had taken place in 1530, the princess took refuge in the province of Transylvania, where she settled down and got married. She was entombed in this monastery.
In 1762, General Bukow set fire to the monastic establishment – causing serious damage to it. Over the succeeding centuries it was renovated many times.
Although the monastery has been a focus for the spiritual life of the Romanians beyond the Carpathian Mountains and had a great historical significance, it was closed down as a result of the Governmental Ordinance no 410/1959, issued on the orders of the communist authorities. In 1973, a monk settles on the premises and tried to revive the monastic life of this place. In 1976, through the persevering efforts of the ever-memorable Father Arsenie Boca and of Mother Zamfira Constantinescu, the holy establishment was reopened and served as a convent.